MM2H Malaysia My Second Home Program
Malaysia My Second Home (MM2H) program was conceived by the Malaysian Government to allow foreign citizens with spouse and children (below 18 years old) to stay in Malaysia for an extended period of time. Participants under this program are given a renewable 10-year multiple-entry social visit pass. There are currently over 12.000 people residing in Malaysia under the MM2H program. Most popular places to stay are Kuala Lumpur, Penang and Langkawi.
On this page:
Malaysia has one of the highest standards of living in the region with modern infrastructure and all necessary facilities in place. Settling in Malaysia is relatively easy if you meet the requirements. People who stay in Malaysia under the MM2H program are allowed to buy freehold property in Malaysia based on a mortgage. There are beautiful terrace houses, semi-detached, bungalows, apartments and condominiums all over the country. There are also some of the finest residences available in tourism zones – along beaches, near jungles, recreational places and city centers.
Below a list of main reasons for people to choose Malaysia over other countries:
- You can enjoy high living standards.
- Malaysia is known for its friendly people where ever you go. Almost everyone in Malaysia speaks English, so there is no language barrier when you arrive in Malaysia.
- The climate is wonderful troughout the year.
- It is easy to travel within Malaysia due to its great infrastructure. The country has many great attractions to visit.
- Costs of living are relatively cheap in Malaysia.
- Medical and hygienic standards are high.
- Malaysia has a stable political system.
- Participants can purchase (freehold) property.
- The relatively easy way to get a 10-year multiple-entry social visit pass is unique to Malaysia's MM2H program and the numerous incentives that apply to MM2H participants.
- Being able to bring along spouse and children as dependants.
Requirements MM2H Malaysia My Second Home Program
The program is open to all open to citizens of all countries recognized by Malaysia. Applicants are allowed to bring their spouses and unmarried children below the age of 18 as dependants.
Requirements MM2H related to finances and income
Note: Visit www.xe.com to see the current exchange rates from ringgit to USD, EURO or GBP.
Below 50 years of age
- Participants must place a fixed deposit of RM300.000 and show proof of extra cash of RM500.000 or more in bank statements.
- Participants need to be able to show latest 3 months off-shore income of at least RM10.000 per month (remuneration from company, pension plan, rental income, any other fixed income or return from investments).
- Participants are allowed to withdraw RM150.000 after one year from the fixed deposit.
- There must maintain a minimum balance of RM150.000 from the second year onwards and throughout the stay in Malaysia under this program.
- If participants can prove purchase of property that is worth over 1 million ringgit; then the fixed deposit is lowered to RM150.000.
Above 50 years of age
- Participants must place a fixed deposit of RM150.000 or monthly off-shore income of RM10.000 from government pension benefit, from your country and show proof of extra cash of RM350.000 or more in bank statements. You need to be able to show at least the latest three months with this monthly income requirement.
- Participants are allowed to withdraw RM50.000 after one year of placing it in fixed deposit.
- Participants must maintain a minimum balance of RM100.000 from second year onwards and throughout stay in Malaysia under this program.
- If participants can prove purchase of property that is worth over 1 million ringgit; then the fixed deposit is lowered to RM100.000.
Visit the official MM2H website to check for updates on the current financial requirements .
Participants are expected to be financially capable of supporting themselves for 10 years on this program in Malaysia, without the need to work in the country. Besides fulfilling the basic financial criteria of the fixed deposit placement of RM150,000 (for those aged 50 and above) or RM300,000 (for those aged below 50), applicants should furnish documentation on their financial position to strengthen their applications.
The money can only be withdrawn to purchase residential properties, education for their children in Malaysia and for medical purposes. For residential property purchase, the sales and purchase agreement has to be signed after the 1 year period. Otherwise, it is not valid and you cannot withdraw from the fixed deposit to purchase the property. The deposit can only be made in banks in Malaysia only (all banks - foreign or Malaysian banks); it cannot be placed in a Malaysian bank overseas. All deposits have to be made in Malaysian ringgit only.
Medical insurance coverage by insurance companies operating in Malaysia is good but you are not obliged to get your insurance in Malaysia. The cutoff age for medical insurance is 60/65 (depending on insurance companies) and you can renew the insurance until you are 70/75. Medical insurance starts from RM350 for a no-frills package to full and comprehensive insurance coverage. Medical insurance coverage is required for all applicants (including spouse and children). A medical checkup is required for all participants (including spouse and children). It will be done only when you come in for passport endorsement, not during application.
- MM2H visa holders are not allowed to work or seek employment in Malaysia unless they get special approval of the Expatriate Committee.
- Property purchase is not a requirement. You can rent a place to stay if you want to.
- There is no minimum amount of days to stay in Malaysia requirement for this visa.
- As long as you meet the requirements, you can renew the MM2H visa indefinitely.
- Foreign citizens have the choice of applying for the program directly at the MM2H centre or elect to use the services of the MM2H agents licensed by the Ministry.
- Qualified MM2H participants aged 50 and above with specialized skills and expertise that are required in the critical sectors of the economy are allowed to work, subject to the approval of the Expatriate Committee.
- MM2H participants are now encouraged to invest and actively participate in business in the various sectors of the economy.
- Foreign spouses of Malaysian nationals are also given the option to stay in Malaysia under the MM2H program or the Spouse Program.
- The ten-year Social Visit Pass is extended to all Silver Hair and MM2H participants who were previously approved under the five-year Social Visit Pass.
- Employment Pass holders who wish to participate in the MM2H program are exempted from the six months cooling off period after the expiry of the Employment Pass.
- If you want to live in either Sabah or Sarawak on the Island of Borneo then you need to apply for your MM2H visa in the respective state as both have their own MM2H board.
- Pension remitted to Malaysia is exempted from tax.
Benefits of the MM2H program
- You are entitled to purchase one car tax-free or you are allowed to import your own car tax-free.
- Each participant is allowed to purchase up to two units of residential houses at a minimum price above RM500,000 each, depending on the location of the property. A visa not required to purchase property in Malaysia.
- No taxes are levied on the income brought into Malaysia.
- You are allowed to stay in Malaysia (without leaving the country) until the visa expires and you don't need to leave the country during renewal.
Read the full FAQ at the official MM2H website.
Questions and/or remarks?
Link to this article
Help us by creating more attention for this article by putting up a link of this article on your own website, weblog, forum etc. Please contact us for more information. Another way to say thumbs up is to like or tweet this article.